Azure resource and azure resource group are two most commonly used terms while working with Microsoft azure. Recently one of the reader asked me difference between these two, so I have decided to write the post on these two terms
What is Resource?
Resource is nothing but an azure service such as app service, azure storage, azure active directory etc. It means whenever you create new resource means you are actually creating an azure service.
What is Azure Resource Group?
Azure resource group is the collection of resources, the resource group is the container in which multiple azure services are resides.
Every azure service must be resides in the resource group, resource groups gives the better flexibility to manage the life cycle of all services at one place which are in the resource group. You can deploy, update and delete these services together.
Key Points of Azure Resource Group
- Resource group can be created using Azure portal, Azure CLI, Azure PowerShell and Azure ARM Template
- The Resource group has its own deployment location to store the metadata of the services which are contained in the resource group, no matter in which location your services are deployed
- All Services contained in the resource group has same life cycle, you can delete, update and deploy them together
- You can move services from one resource group to another resource group
- One service which has same metadata wont be allowed in different resource group, It means you can not have two resource group for one service which is identical
- The resource group and resource can have a different regions, It means if your resource group location is US region then your service might be have an any other deployment location such as west Europe etc.
- The Resource group provide the better control to manage the security of group of services such as user access and resource permission etc. so someone can not be harm your service
- Resource in the resource group can connect to the another resource group services
- Each resource group can deploy 800 service at a time
- When you delete the resource group then all the services which are in resource are get deleted
Hope this article is useful to understand the difference between azure resource and resource group, if you have any doubts then please ask using the comment box.